Notification on Smoking Prohibition Extension
Under the Smoking (Prohibition in Certain Places) Act administered by National Environment Agency (NEA), smoking is currently prohibited in the educational institutions stated under part C below. From 1 October 2017, the smoking prohibition will be extended to the following areas:
- Autonomous Universities’ compounds;
- Private Education Institutions (PEIs); and
- Within five metres of educational institutions, including kindergartens, child care centres, special education schools, madrasahs, primary schools, secondary schools, junior colleges/ centralized institute, polytechnics, the Institute of Technical Education campuses, PEIs and autonomous universities.
Attached is the circular from NEA to inform all premises manager on the smoking prohibition extension.
As the premises manager , NEA would like to seek your cooperation on the following:
- Ensure that the smoking prohibition is observed in your premises i.e. to request smokers to stop smoking at the prohibited areas or to leave the premises immediately.
- Ensure that there is effective communication of the boundary of the newly prohibited areas e.g. informing the tenants, students, parents of students via circular.
- Display sufficient “No Smoking” signage at conspicuous locations including areas where the boundaries of your premises are unclear.
- NEA will be mailing posters to PEIs with standalone premises and premises owners are encouraged to display them by 10 October 2017. PEIs within other premises such as shopping mall will not be receiving the materials as the PEI is already located within a smoking prohibited area.
- PEIs offering degree courses are allowed to set up Designated Smoking Areas within the outdoor compounds and you may wish to refer to the guidelines for more details.
For any enquiries regarding the smoking prohibition extension, you may wish to feedback to http://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedback